After finishing my Genome quilt I decided that I needed to take a break from big complex projects and do something nice and simple. Conveniently The Fabric Store had just gotten in their new spring fabrics, which include some gorgeous cotton voile/lawn.
Above are the fabrics I bought. From left to right: Black merino wool jersey, navy cotton/lycra jersey, blue organic cotton jersey, beige and brown spotted cotton, plain brown cotton, brown silk suiting.
I bought the beige and brown fabric and the brown fabric to make a sorbetto. After seeing so many gorgeous variations around the internet I decided to have a go at making one of my own to see if the style suits me. (I was a little concerned because of the lack of shaping that it wouldn’t work with my boobs).
Overall I’m pretty happy with how it turned out. The pattern was very well drafted, however the instructions were a little confusing for the binding. I thought I had followed the pattern instructions but after discussion with Mindy we now think I did it differently (not that it really matters). Also, the continuous binding tutorial linked in the pattern completely eluded me – I COULD NOT get the stripes to line up and after three tries I gave up and didn’t bother trying to make it continuous.
One other, slightly more serious gripe however, is the inaccuracy of the fabric requirements stated in the pattern. I bought the amount of fabric suggested in the pattern: 1.5yards (ie approx 1.5m). However this ended up being easily twice as much as I needed (ie I have more than enough fabric left over to make another top if I wanted to!) I was a little disappointed by this, and wanted to point out to anyone considering making this pattern that you do not need 1.5m, if the fabric is over about 120cm wide (size dependent) you need about 75cm as you can fit the two pattern pieces side by side and fold the selveges to the centre (a little more if you want to lengthen the top).
Other than that I followed the pattern faithfully, making no alterations.to the size 6 pattern. However if/when I make another one I think I will lengthen it just a tiny bit, and also pinch out the gaping at the armhole and transfer it to the bust dart.
However, having said that, I think it would be a FANTASTIC summer pyjama top, and since some of my summer PJ bottoms are starting to fall apart I expect I will be making some as the weather warms up and I may make some matching Sorbettos to wear with them. We’ll see.