Hollyburn and A Sew-Along!

After a particularly crazy week I’m very excited to be able to share this with you today, as I’ve had to keep it a secret for what feels like AGES. So, with no further ado, my Hollyburn skirt…

I was a pattern tester for the newest Sewaholic pattern; the Hollyburn skirt. I’ve been a pattern tester before, for the Minoru and Thurlow patterns, and was very excited to be one again. (In these photos, my skirt is worn with my Chiffon Pendrell).

If I’m entirely honest, when I first saw the line drawing for the Hollyburn pattern and read the description I was not very enthusiastic about the skirt. But then I cut out the pattern pieces and I noticed that it is infact three different skirts; each one a different amount of full-ness, to be optimally flattering, not just one skirt with different lengths.

I made the shortest length, in a size 10 with absolutely no alterations. I didn’t do any measuring other than checking how long the different lengths would be on me (approximately), and at one point in the construction I second guessed myself got a bit worried that not measuring had been a mistake and the waist would be too small. However I’ve made so many sewaholic patterns and I’ve made a size 10 in every one and had to make minimal alterations, and the same was true for this one.

The shortest length, and thus fullest-flare is a bit less than a 1/2 circle skirt when you lay out all the pieces around, which was great, as at the time I was actually already planning on drafting myself a half circle skirt, and Tasia has saved me the effort!

The fabric I used is some very narrowly striped grey and black wool, the I bought at Rathdowne Remnants. I also added a lining to my version (which isn’t in the pattern) as wool can be a bit scratchy against my skin, and more importantly it stops it from sticking to tights as I walk. Of course, being me, the lining wasn’t black or grey, it was bright turquoise! (Blame the girls at Social Sewing for that one! Particularly Kat)

Once I finished the skirt I was completely convinced; this is a fantastic pattern! I’m really glad that doing the pattern testing ‘forced’ me to try this pattern as it has great potential to become a wardrobe staple. I was in great need of finding a pattern for a simple skirt to wear with various blouses/tops that isn’t a pencil skirt, and I think this might be it!

The pattern is geared towards beginner sewers – the instructions were very clear, and the steps very simple. I really do think this will be a fantastic pattern for beginners and more advanced sewers alike. It’s a simple design which I think would get plenty of wear by anybody that makes it, but the construction steps are simple enough for even a very beginner. Moreover, as the only part you really have to fit is the waistband, so there’s no pesky fitting issues to worry about.

In even more exciting news, I am so much of a convert on this skirt that I’ve decided to host a sew-along for the pattern!! (My very first sewalong too! Eek!)

My lovely wool version is less use now that we’re well and truly into Melbourne Summer, so I need to make (at least) another one, and thought why not make it a sew-along, to share my enthusiasm for this pattern.

Is anybody else interested?

I am planning on starting the sew-along mid-Jan, to give everyone time to recover from the Christmas and New Year madness, and also time for people to buy patterns etc. I shall post more about my plans for the sew-along (and ask for any requests/suggestions/feedback) later this week, but in the meantime, if you’re interested you should order your patterns! They’re available direct from Sewaholic already, and if you’re in Australia I recommend getting it from SewSquirrel, who has them available.

Missed any of the sew-along posts, or just want to re-read them? You can find the full list here.

30 Comments

1. House of Pinheiro

Great skirt, the combo of fabric, pattern and lining really rocks

1. Rachel

Thanks Rachel! I'm really happy with it, and love when the lining just peeks out occasionally

2. sarahp

Fantastic! I'll be making myself one of these for sure!

Yay!

3. Cherrypix

Looks great on you! Your pink Minoru was what inspired me to make one for myself! I'm more of a pencil skirt person,unli kely to go for this pattern but always enjoy watching a sew along!

1. Rachel

Hopefully I'll be able to still include something in the sewalong that interests you 🙂 I've got exciting plans!

4. poppykettle

ey, finito! Looks great, especially with the pendrell. Those two patterns suit you, and the fabric choices match delightfully 🙂 Looking great! Love the picture of it spread out flat on the floor.

1. Rachel

I know, I was surprised how well it goes with my pendrell! I think the slight blousey-ness balances out the full skirt well.

5. Neeno

cute as!

Thanks Neeno!

6. jo mathews

looks great!

Thanks Jo!

7. Gail

Very flattering style and it works well with the Pendrell blouse.

1. Rachel

Thanks Gail! I'm thrilled how well it goes with the Pendrell.

8. ZoSews

This looks so good on you! And the skirt hangs beautifully – nice one! I was a bit 'blah' on this pattern too, but might just have to give it a go now 🙂

1. Rachel

I know! It took a while to win me over. Hopefully my sew-along will inspire you to give one a go 😉

9. Reana Louise

This looks so fab! Actually, the whole outfit is gorgeous! xx

Thanks Reana Louise!

10. Jenny

Great skirt and top! I definitely want to join you in the sew along.

Hooray! I'm excited that you'll be joining me 🙂

11. thecuriouskiwi

Yay! I love your version, it looks so great in a solid (ish) fabric, I can see it next winter with coloured tights 🙂 I think my next version will be view C too for more flare – I pretty much hemmed my view B version at that length anyway but I really like how yours hangs, that little bit of extra flare makes it looks so good.

1. Rachel

Thanks! Yes, coloured tights with it will be great. Just need to get some new boots before next winter and i'm all set! Thats great you're already planning another one!

12. Tiffany James

Yup, I'm convinced! Tasia seems to be able to do no wrong! Love your whole outfit- it looks great!

Yay! Thanks Tiffany!

13. BusyLizzie

I am interested in participating in this – the pattern looks a lovely shape on everyone I have seen it on so far. Hopefully it will do me the same favours!

1. Rachel

Hooray! I'm excited to hear that!!

14. Amanda

You look stunning, Rach! I was really hesitant about this pattern but it looks smashing on you so I must give it a go!

1. Rachel

Thanks Mands! I think it's a great basic skirt pattern 🙂 I think it'll be a great addition to my wardrobe and pattern rotation

15. Pingback: Wool Hollyburn Skirt | Lavender Lane